She is hardworking, imaginative and with such a down to earth personality that you have to fall in love with her and her pieces of ART.
For real, I have always liked Mary Katrantzou, the joy behind her pieces, the self confidence in her smile and that easy happy feeling about her personality. In Stylist Arabia super Cressida (a journalist I like a lot) did a special edition about her .. Maria, Maria.. Like that Carlos Santana song..
In this issue and some extra research in Mr Google, I learnt a lot about Mary Katrantzou. Let me share it with you.
- This coming season s/s 2016 is inspired in a movie called Time of the Gypsies and it is about the Balkans and the Romani culture.
- Mary Katrantzou has a good friend called Sabine G, a jewelry designer. She married with a gorgeous cape from Schiaparelli couture.. It is so Dali, so El Greco, so religious,..so from my own roots, that I dreamt about that cape!
- You guessed it.. with that surname she is of Greek origin!. but she lives mostly in London. Her mama is an interior designer and her father trained in Textile Engineering. (the print love might be coming from here!).
- She has some very colorful bags that my friend Marta would love.. why? because Martita is all about small bags, the smaller the better.. and this one is just cute, small and full of color and personality. Check it out. The Mini MVK bag.
- We knew about her crazy funky prints.. but these dresses are not to be missed as now they are iconic..
- the Typewriter from a/w 2012.
- the lampshade skirts from s/s 2011
- the Pencil Cage with real pencils from a/w 2012
- the Dam C coat with plastic embroidery and a foam waist and a matching foam clutch from a/w 2015.
- the Jewel tree with velvet and silk, swarovskis and embellishments from a/w 2011.
- the Expandit printed silk dress with swarovskis.
- She studied first Architecture, from there jumped to Fashion at Central Saint Martins.
- Mary Katrantzou is the queen of prints. The kings are the duo from Peter Pilotto.
- Only 6 years after launching, she won the Vogue Fashion Fund. Now she is close to open her standalone shop.
- She travels a lot, her agenda is insane.
- Mary Katrantzou makes decisions on instinct but tries not to second guess her designs, otherwise insecurity will arise.
- She splits designers in 2 major categories: the ones that edit and the ones that have their own handwriting.
- Mary Katrantzou has a very pretty vision of the fashion sector,.. for example praises the feminine camaraderie and she doesn’t feel you have to ¨be cool and thin¨to be in fashion, .. are they maybe cliches, Mary is just very lucky or was she just being politically correct?
- Michelle Obama, Sarah Jessica Parker, Taylor Swift, Lupita, Keira Knightley etc wore her designs.
Mary Katrantzou is a real inspiration for me. It is the consummation of a lot of effort, a good instinct and a flooding creativity… and on top of that she seems such a good person!
If there is a designer you like and you can not find in the blog, drop me an email and we can feature him or her with pleasure.
WIJL insists this month on Breast Cancer Awareness.
Every year, I remind you, my beloved readers to check your breast and take advantage of the free check ups the clinics offers in this month of October but this year it is not going to be a reminder. It is going to be a bit more personal and I hope nobody feels exposed.. (probably it will be very much me being very exposed).
This year it has been particularly hard on me- well, us. After too many doctor visits, realizing that we won’t have children naturally was devastating but there are other ways to help Mother Nature. We have gone through 2 in vitros already and on the last one the doctor gave me a super high dosage of hormones. The doctor insisted that after one month all the hormones will be vanished from my body. Well, it wasn’t so..
You have already been introduced to Dora, my little kitty.. she is all the time playing and jumping.. and of course the sofa- with or without me on it- it is part of what she understand as her playground. That one day, she jumped on top of me, landed on my breast and it hurt.. I touch it and it seemed something round a bit hard.. I panicked. I know your breasts might be harder or bumpier depending on the time of the cycle, but my cycle was progressing and the bump was not changing or disappearing. I took an appointment to my gynecologist. She was away.The week that I had to wait until she was able to see me, it was the longest ever. During the visit she confirmed it with the scanner.. I had not one, but many cysts. I was so scared. She wanted a mammogram and more tests. One week after, I was at the clinic again.. The mammogram is so painful and traumatic, I felt very vulnerable.. I was scared from before, I guess that doesn’t help. The nurse was very nice and she said if you have cysts it is extra painful and uncomfortable trying to make me feel better. Too bad.. I even shed some tears.
The specialist was very nice and explained that probably the many cysts were caused to the hormone treatment- as the previous check up only 8 months ago showed nothing- and that most of them were harmless, one though.. needed more study and to see how it would evolve. I am ok for now, in a few months I will start the next set of tests but I am confident as now I have a good doctor behind me.
So now, I don’t want to remind you, I want to ask you to go and get checked this same October. I can not tell you how important this is. This first simple test can save your life.. Do it. Don’t wait.
Michael Kors and Mall of the Emirates are celebrating!
Recently I went to the Michael Kors store in Mall of the Emirates for a very nice event. The Mall is on its 10 anniversary and Michael Kors did a special line of bags as a celebration.
The shop was nicely decorated exposing the special “10th Year of MOE” collection and all the rest of the standard collection. Maria Elena, my partner in crime came along also. We enjoyed the drinks and the cute canapes, and got to see some other fellow bloggers. I was coming right after work, exhausted and tired but I must say that it was worthy just to have some social life and get to see new things. Some times, when deadlines are in your neck, you get that very dangerous tunnel vision and stop going out, thinking constantly in work and office stuff.
This came as a very nice break, that made me realise that I need to stop and smell the roses, in my case,.. enjoy the amazing city I live in.
I am going to leave you with some pics of the event, but hey! I work in education, and you can not miss my notes about Michael Kors, the brand, the man and a little bit about all in between.
About Michael Kors
- Was born Karl Anderson Jr, but later changed his name and also his surname as her mother remarried Bill Kors. From Karl Anderson Jr to Michael David Kors.
- He is a Leo (09/08/1959)
- Started studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology but never finished.
- His mom was a model, there you might have some “fashionable” influence.
- From when he was 5 he showed signs of fashion designer vocation.. He drew the wedding dress of his mom for her second wedding.
- When a teenager, he was producing and selling his clothes from the basement of his house.
- He started to work in a Boutique that allowed him to start selling his products, eventually Bergdorf Goodman liked his designs and got to be showcased in buyers meetings.
- 1981 Michael Kors launched his brand for womenswear.
- 1993 hit hard with bankruptcy. The brand stopped and recover only in 1997 creating a cheaper line.
- 1997 Michael Kors joined Celine for women’s ready to wear.
- 2002 The menswear line is launched.
- 2003 Michael Kors left Celine.
- 2011 Michael Kors married his long time partner Lance LePere.
- Now the brand has over 350 shops around the world.
- Kors has participated in Project Runway as judge and has been nominated many times in Times magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the World.
- 2013 He received the Couture Council Award. he also has the Geoffrey Beene lifetime achievement award from CFDA.
- He is a good person.. he worked for years with charities (“God’s love we deliver” to take care of feeding HIV and AIDs patients) and Cancer Research (Oliver R. Grace Award by the Cancer Research Institute).
- Today the brand has two main lines.. the Michael Kors luxury collection and the Michael, accessible luxury collection.
- He has a personal wealth of over a billion dollars according to Forbes.
I always find inspiring to know about the designers lives. Michael Kors is like a modern phoenix, coming back to life after bankruptcy must not be easy, but talent and perseverance made him back to the top.
One Love from Dubai Marina,