She is hardworking, imaginative and with such a down to earth personality that you have to fall in love with her and her pieces of ART.
For real, I have always liked Mary Katrantzou, the joy behind her pieces, the self confidence in her smile and that easy happy feeling about her personality. In Stylist Arabia super Cressida (a journalist I like a lot) did a special edition about her .. Maria, Maria.. Like that Carlos Santana song..
In this issue and some extra research in Mr Google, I learnt a lot about Mary Katrantzou. Let me share it with you.
- This coming season s/s 2016 is inspired in a movie called Time of the Gypsies and it is about the Balkans and the Romani culture.
- Mary Katrantzou has a good friend called Sabine G, a jewelry designer. She married with a gorgeous cape from Schiaparelli couture.. It is so Dali, so El Greco, so religious,..so from my own roots, that I dreamt about that cape!
- You guessed it.. with that surname she is of Greek origin!. but she lives mostly in London. Her mama is an interior designer and her father trained in Textile Engineering. (the print love might be coming from here!).
- She has some very colorful bags that my friend Marta would love.. why? because Martita is all about small bags, the smaller the better.. and this one is just cute, small and full of color and personality. Check it out. The Mini MVK bag.
- We knew about her crazy funky prints.. but these dresses are not to be missed as now they are iconic..
- the Typewriter from a/w 2012.
- the lampshade skirts from s/s 2011
- the Pencil Cage with real pencils from a/w 2012
- the Dam C coat with plastic embroidery and a foam waist and a matching foam clutch from a/w 2015.
- the Jewel tree with velvet and silk, swarovskis and embellishments from a/w 2011.
- the Expandit printed silk dress with swarovskis.
- She studied first Architecture, from there jumped to Fashion at Central Saint Martins.
- Mary Katrantzou is the queen of prints. The kings are the duo from Peter Pilotto.
- Only 6 years after launching, she won the Vogue Fashion Fund. Now she is close to open her standalone shop.
- She travels a lot, her agenda is insane.
- Mary Katrantzou makes decisions on instinct but tries not to second guess her designs, otherwise insecurity will arise.
- She splits designers in 2 major categories: the ones that edit and the ones that have their own handwriting.
- Mary Katrantzou has a very pretty vision of the fashion sector,.. for example praises the feminine camaraderie and she doesn’t feel you have to ¨be cool and thin¨to be in fashion, .. are they maybe cliches, Mary is just very lucky or was she just being politically correct?
- Michelle Obama, Sarah Jessica Parker, Taylor Swift, Lupita, Keira Knightley etc wore her designs.
Mary Katrantzou is a real inspiration for me. It is the consummation of a lot of effort, a good instinct and a flooding creativity… and on top of that she seems such a good person!
If there is a designer you like and you can not find in the blog, drop me an email and we can feature him or her with pleasure.