Michael Kors and Mall of the Emirates are celebrating!
Recently I went to the Michael Kors store in Mall of the Emirates for a very nice event. The Mall is on its 10 anniversary and Michael Kors did a special line of bags as a celebration.
The shop was nicely decorated exposing the special “10th Year of MOE” collection and all the rest of the standard collection. Maria Elena, my partner in crime came along also. We enjoyed the drinks and the cute canapes, and got to see some other fellow bloggers. I was coming right after work, exhausted and tired but I must say that it was worthy just to have some social life and get to see new things. Some times, when deadlines are in your neck, you get that very dangerous tunnel vision and stop going out, thinking constantly in work and office stuff.
This came as a very nice break, that made me realise that I need to stop and smell the roses, in my case,.. enjoy the amazing city I live in.
I am going to leave you with some pics of the event, but hey! I work in education, and you can not miss my notes about Michael Kors, the brand, the man and a little bit about all in between.
About Michael Kors
- Was born Karl Anderson Jr, but later changed his name and also his surname as her mother remarried Bill Kors. From Karl Anderson Jr to Michael David Kors.
- He is a Leo (09/08/1959)
- Started studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology but never finished.
- His mom was a model, there you might have some “fashionable” influence.
- From when he was 5 he showed signs of fashion designer vocation.. He drew the wedding dress of his mom for her second wedding.
- When a teenager, he was producing and selling his clothes from the basement of his house.
- He started to work in a Boutique that allowed him to start selling his products, eventually Bergdorf Goodman liked his designs and got to be showcased in buyers meetings.
- 1981 Michael Kors launched his brand for womenswear.
- 1993 hit hard with bankruptcy. The brand stopped and recover only in 1997 creating a cheaper line.
- 1997 Michael Kors joined Celine for women’s ready to wear.
- 2002 The menswear line is launched.
- 2003 Michael Kors left Celine.
- 2011 Michael Kors married his long time partner Lance LePere.
- Now the brand has over 350 shops around the world.
- Kors has participated in Project Runway as judge and has been nominated many times in Times magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the World.
- 2013 He received the Couture Council Award. he also has the Geoffrey Beene lifetime achievement award from CFDA.
- He is a good person.. he worked for years with charities (“God’s love we deliver” to take care of feeding HIV and AIDs patients) and Cancer Research (Oliver R. Grace Award by the Cancer Research Institute).
- Today the brand has two main lines.. the Michael Kors luxury collection and the Michael, accessible luxury collection.
- He has a personal wealth of over a billion dollars according to Forbes.
I always find inspiring to know about the designers lives. Michael Kors is like a modern phoenix, coming back to life after bankruptcy must not be easy, but talent and perseverance made him back to the top.
One Love from Dubai Marina,