Michael Kors and Mall of the Emirates are celebrating!
Recently I went to the Michael Kors store in Mall of the Emirates for a very nice event. The Mall is on its 10 anniversary and Michael Kors did a special line of bags as a celebration.
The shop was nicely decorated exposing the special “10th Year of MOE” collection and all the rest of the standard collection. Maria Elena, my partner in crime came along also. We enjoyed the drinks and the cute canapes, and got to see some other fellow bloggers. I was coming right after work, exhausted and tired but I must say that it was worthy just to have some social life and get to see new things. Some times, when deadlines are in your neck, you get that very dangerous tunnel vision and stop going out, thinking constantly in work and office stuff.
This came as a very nice break, that made me realise that I need to stop and smell the roses, in my case,.. enjoy the amazing city I live in.
I am going to leave you with some pics of the event, but hey! I work in education, and you can not miss my notes about Michael Kors, the brand, the man and a little bit about all in between.
About Michael Kors
- Was born Karl Anderson Jr, but later changed his name and also his surname as her mother remarried Bill Kors. From Karl Anderson Jr to Michael David Kors.
- He is a Leo (09/08/1959)
- Started studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology but never finished.
- His mom was a model, there you might have some “fashionable” influence.
- From when he was 5 he showed signs of fashion designer vocation.. He drew the wedding dress of his mom for her second wedding.
- When a teenager, he was producing and selling his clothes from the basement of his house.
- He started to work in a Boutique that allowed him to start selling his products, eventually Bergdorf Goodman liked his designs and got to be showcased in buyers meetings.
- 1981 Michael Kors launched his brand for womenswear.
- 1993 hit hard with bankruptcy. The brand stopped and recover only in 1997 creating a cheaper line.
- 1997 Michael Kors joined Celine for women’s ready to wear.
- 2002 The menswear line is launched.
- 2003 Michael Kors left Celine.
- 2011 Michael Kors married his long time partner Lance LePere.
- Now the brand has over 350 shops around the world.
- Kors has participated in Project Runway as judge and has been nominated many times in Times magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the World.
- 2013 He received the Couture Council Award. he also has the Geoffrey Beene lifetime achievement award from CFDA.
- He is a good person.. he worked for years with charities (“God’s love we deliver” to take care of feeding HIV and AIDs patients) and Cancer Research (Oliver R. Grace Award by the Cancer Research Institute).
- Today the brand has two main lines.. the Michael Kors luxury collection and the Michael, accessible luxury collection.
- He has a personal wealth of over a billion dollars according to Forbes.
I always find inspiring to know about the designers lives. Michael Kors is like a modern phoenix, coming back to life after bankruptcy must not be easy, but talent and perseverance made him back to the top.
One Love from Dubai Marina,
Dubai is so full of events, some times it is hard to keep up with all that happens here. For example, Shoemart celebrated just recently its 25 years. This shoe company has been already quite a while in Dubai, right? They have shops in most of the malls I like. For this anniversary, they organised an event to show their new collection for Spring / Summer 2015 with their new face, Maya Diab. She is a Lebanese actress, singer and fashion icon.
The event had two violinists playing amazingly and the music of the Dj’s after it was not bad at all. The collection was very fresh, with very bright colors and some of the very chunky soles in white plastic that are so in vogue. They also showed ballerinas and sport shoes in futuristic silver and golden shades.
There were shoes shown for every occasion… for the office, for dinner out with your better half, to go to the beach with your gang, for your day off lazing around doing nothing.. What I like most about Shoemart is that their shoes are very affordable, so you always end up buying an extra pair even if it was not on your initial list. And even if they are cheap, they don’t look cheap, which is I think the secret to their success in sales.
Well dears, I have put together some of the best pics in the collage above to be able to show you a bit of what the night held. I fell in love with the metallic with diamond appliques shoes of the presenter -also from Shoemart- and the black transparent sandals from Maya Diab…I would say they are part of the Fantasy collection if I would be asked. They are both gorgeous don’t you think?
Hope you like the shoes and the inspiration!!
In June I went to my first segregated runway in Dubai. Honestly, it surprised me but I think it was great for both sides of the screen.. the ones seeing the girls with their lingerie and the ones enjoying the shadows. Sometimes, less is more. I found it really sexy..
At that time Boux Avenue was coming as a new shop in Dubai, although it has been for some time already in UK here they were just opening their first store under the Al Ghurair Retail umbrella (ella, ella, eh eh.. ). They do lingerie, nightwear and swimwear.. and I went to the shop to get some pieces of the new cute collection.
Well, truth to be told.. they do cute but also, super hot stuff.. I remember some corsets that were totally gorgeous and will make my hubby faint (and me laugh with the situation of femme fatale!).
Well, back to Boux.. they are super experts and want you to feel as a queen so they have an “expert bra fitting advisor”.. hello? yes, not joking here.. and I must say I love the concept. I hate it when it is not the right size or the right shape and you have to try and try and try… This is a UPS for Boux I definitely like. Izilinda and Myles, the girls in the shop, were totally sweet and explained me all about how to make sure I choose the perfect size and the perfect bra. They know their stuff and have energy to light up half Dubai.
The shop I went to is the one in Dubai Festival City and it is really nice. I specially love the way the fitting rooms look like. You have switches for Concierge and also for three different light options. Cool, right?
Well, here you have some pics of my adventure at the shop and my purchases. What do you think? Lovely, eh? Now, are you ready Boo?
Lots of luv,
More info on Boux Avenue here.
Wherever you look this days you can see this print and it looks goorrrgeous. I used to perceive it as ‘too wild for this baby” but now I love it… Maybe it is because once everybody has it on, it looks less dangerous.
I need to get me one of these..
This pencil skirt looks so good (and the sun glasses tooo!).. and these shoes, no comments… Just marrrrrrvellous!
I own already two wondrrrrous leopard scarves: one in black and white and another in pink tones and they combine so well with everything!.
By the way have you seen the real “leopard” I have at home?..
These days I am hosting my friend’s cat -Yoyo- and boy! I am enjoying it so much. I wish I would have a balcony and have a full time cat with me. Yep! I am a cat lover- frustrated in Dubai.
Lots of luv,
Facebook – Twitter– Instagram – Pinterest –Giveaway
And this is the link to join the Happy-List creation in Facebook or the super cute giveaway!
I saw this funky hair in the Paris Fashion Week reviews in the Givenchy runway show and it is so unique that I have to love it.
It is not really for the day to day. I think it means a lot of work because every lock of hair is kept in place with hairpins making look as little roses, and then coloured or maybe viceversa- coloured and later pinned..we might need to ask Luigi Murenu, genius behind this hair style.
Beautiful, stunning and very time consuming. It looks like one of those swimcaps from the fifties, don’t you think?
My favorite is pink but all of them look very cute.
Facebook – Twitter– Instagram – Pinterest
And this is the link to join the Happy-List creation in Facebook. Be part of it with your beautiful thoughts! And thumbs up the blog’s Facebook page as it will make me happy!
Photos : GettyImages, Pinterest and Wireimage.